German Red Cabbage
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 large red cabbage, sliced 1/4-inch think
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Beet
- 1 Mountain Rose Apple
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the thinly sliced red cabbage, beet and apple and toss to coat with the butter. Sauté until slightly wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar and vinegar, simmer.
- Sprinkle sugar over the cabbage, beet and apple and toss to coat evenly.
- Add the balsamic vinegar to the pot. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium low.
- Cover and simmer until completely tender but not mushy. Stir often, about 30 to 45 minutes total.