Recipe of the Week:
Basil and Asparagus Risotto
- 12 oz asparagus stalks edges trimmed, and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1.5 cups arborio rice*
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese optional
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Place asparagus on a large baking sheet. Brush asparagus with 1 tbsp olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Roast asparagus in the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the risotto. Heat a large heavy bottomed saucepan over medium high heat. Add remaining olive oil and garlic. Cook for approximately 2 minutes, and add the rice. Stir well with garlic.
- Add the wine and simmer, stirring constantly, until the wine absorbed, 2-3 minutes,
- Add 3/4 cup stock, reduce heat to medium, and cook stirring frequently until the liquid is absorbed. Continue adding the remaining stock, 3/4 cup at a time, stirring frequently and allowing the liquid to fully absorb before adding more.
- The risotto will become tender and creamy, total cooking time around 30 minutes. If it appears a little dry, add 1/4 cup broth or water to loosen.
- Slowly stir in asparagus, divide between bowls or plates. Garnish with freshly chopped basil, and parmesan cheese if using.