Peach & Nectarine Crisp
August produce is in full swing and we've been enjoying the peaches and nectarines from ProFarm Orchards. Although these stone fruits are tasty on their own, the sweet flavor and soft texture is especially good in a baked treat such as this crisp. This recipe is versatile so you can always replace the peaches or nectarines with other fruit that you might have on hand!
For the Filling:
1 lb ripe yellow peaches
1 lb ripe yellow nectarines
1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
1/4 cup blueberries (optional)
For the topping:
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of coarse salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter
- To make filling, carefully remove skin from each peach. (Nectarines do not need to be peeled.)
- Use a paring knife to cut each peach in half. Remove pits. With halves facedown, cut peaches into bite-size pieces. Prepare nectarines same way.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1 tablespoon flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, peaches, and nectarines. Add blueberries (if using) and stir to mix with a wooden spoon. Scrape fruit mixture into a 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together 2/3 cup of flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Cut butter into small pieces (1/4-inch square). Add butter to flour mixture. With hands, massage mixture gently until it just comes together like a loose dough. Sprinkle topping over filling in a thin layer.
- Bake until filling is bubbling at surface and top is golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven and allow crisp to cool for 5 minutes.
- Spoon crisp into bowls while it’s still warm. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired.