1) Heat the oil over medium-low heat in a large sauté pan. When it’s hot, add the onions and a small pinch of salt. Stir every few minutes until the onions are translucent, about 8-10 minutes. Be careful - if your pan is too hot they may burn! If this happens, add a little liquid to the bottom of the pan (about 2 Tbsp) and stir until it evaporates.
2) Stir in the garlic and carrots and continue cooking until the onions are golden brown, for about 5 more minutes.
3) Add in the chard with ¼ cup chicken broth. Stir so everything is evenly incorporated with the rest of the veggies, then pop the lid on the skillet.
4) Simmer until the greens are slightly wilted and tender, about 5-8 minutes. Don’t let them overcook and get mushy.
5) Remove the lid, remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the lemon juice, zest and ½ tsp salt. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.