"If we improve these things by a small percentage, as little as 1% - they all add up to a big improvement in overall performance."
Sir Dave Brailsford, Legendary Olympic Cycling Coach
Most HR departments are skilled in only one or two of the seven areas of HR.
Using Marginal Gain Theory, huge gains can occur in your HR department:
- Determine what the weaknesses are,
- Develop a strategy and a plan for each area,
- Identify any conflicts between the strategies and plans,
- Implement and monitor and
- Lastly, develop the HR department in those weak areas.
Case study: The HR department of a manufacturing company was highly skilled in Employee Relations. However, they were weak in the other six elements. A plan was developed and executed that saw the results that Executive Team was looking for, a reduction in overall Human Capital costs, an increase in manufacturing capacity resulting in higher revenues and a HR team that became skilled in all areas of HR.
Please click below if you would like to see a You Tube video on the successes of the British Cycling team led by Dave Brailsford.