May 9, 2018
Edwin Espinal, political prisoner in a Honduran military prison on trumped up charges, denied bail by judge in military-controlled “court-room” on a military base
Day #111 of detention in military jail
Edwin Espinal had his hearing today in a military controlled “court-room” on a military base (Cuartel General Las Cabanas, Tegucigalpa) and the judge took almost no time at all to deny him bail whatsoever, left alone house arrest, etc. Edwin –jailed in a military prison- was not present in the so-called “hearing”. The judge only allowed a few people (officials from the UN, Canadian & US embassies) to enter the courtroom, aside from the lawyers. No human rights observers or media allowed.
Stop U.S. and Canadian “business-as-usual”
While the embassies had observers in the “hearing”, the U.S. and Canadian governments have maintained full military, “security”, political and economic relations with the military-backed governments in Honduras since the 2009 military coup, through three sets of fraudulent, repressive elections. The U.S. and Canada are enabling and empowering the Honduran regime, its repression, corruption and human rights violations, including the on-going illegal detention of Edwin and the judicial charade of the bail “hearing”.
Keep on writing
Contact directly your elected Senators (https://whoismyrepresentative.com/) and Congress members (https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative) and make your demands known to them.
Directly contact your Member of Parliament and make your demands known to them (https://www.ourcommons.ca/Parliamentarians/en/members) and ask them to write directly to:
Demands - short term
The U.S. and Canadian governments must:
- Do an about face and rescind their “legitimization” of the Nov. 26, 2017 elections
- Condemn the multiple acts of electoral fraud carried out by government of Juan Orlando Hernandez
- Condemn the repression including the killing of over 40 pro-democracy protesters, and the illegal detentions of dozens of political prisoners, including Edwin Espinal
- Suspend all economic, military and political relations with the government of Honduras, until the political / electoral crisis has been resolved and impartial justice processes are proceeded against the intellectual and material authors of the electoral fraud and stolen elections, and the endemic repression
Demands - medium term
There must be legislative inquiries in the U.S. and Canada into the causes of Honduras’ now endemic repression and exploitation, corruption and impunity, with specific focus on the role played by the U.S. and Canadian governments:
- In support of the 2009 military coup
- In support and legitimization of fraudulent and violent elections in 2009, 2013 and 2017
- In support (in the case of Canada) of the promoting and signing of the potentially illegitimate “Free Trade Agreement” with the government of Honduras; In support of the expansion of corporate investments in Honduras (mining, garment “sweatshop” industry, bananas, hydro-electric dams, tourism, African palm, etc.), while turning a blind eye to and – in effect – benefitting from repression, fraud, corruption and impunity.
- U.S.: Box 50887, Washington DC, 20091-0887
- Canada: (Box 552) 351 Queen St. E, Toronto ON, M5A-1T8
- Matching donor: Anonymous donors will match donations made to Rights Action (U.S. and Canada), up to a total of $30,000, made by May 15, 2018.