April 20, 2019
Day #444 - 15 months of military jail for Edwin Espinal, political prisoner in Honduras
Today marks day 444 of the illegal incarceration of Edwin Espinal, a political prisoner in a max-security military prison in Honduras. Over the past 15 months, over 50 Hondurans have been killed by government forces, and dozens –like Edwin– jailed as political prisoners on trumped up charges related to protesting the fraudulently stolen elections (November 2017), protesting the repression of the U.S. and Canadian-backed government of Juan Orlando Hernandez, protesting –in fact- the multiple reasons why 10s of 1000s of Hondurans are forced to flee their homes and countries into exile, every year.
Photo by Karen Spring, Edwin’s spouse and partner, a Canadian human rights expert and activist living in Honduras since the 2009 U.S. and Canadian-backed military coup that ousted Honduras’ last democratically elected government …, … ushering in these past 10 years of systemic government corruption, repression and impunity, and widespread violence and land-dispossession across the country.
Please support request for meeting between Edwin’s Canadian family –the Spring family of Elmvale, Ontario- and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Minister Chrystia Freeland.
Write to Prime Minister Trudeau and Minister Freeland, with copies to your MP and the MPs listed below:
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- MP Erin O'Toole, Conservative Member of Parliament for Durham (Ontario), Shadow Minister of Foreign Affairs, Vice-Chair Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs and International Development, Erin.OToole.A1@parl.gc.ca
- MP Guy Caron, NDP Member of Parliament Rimouski-Neigette—Témiscouata—Les Basques, Critic for Foreign Affairs, Guy.Caron@parl.gc.ca
- MP Elizabeth May, Green Party of Canada, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Two supporters will match contributions (up to $25,000), deadline: April 20, 2019
Your support will help Rights Action continue to fund and support community groups in Honduras and Guatemala at forefront of land and environmental, human rights and justice struggles. M
- U.S.: Box 50887, Washington DC, 20091-0887
- Canada: (Box 552) 351 Queen St. E, Toronto ON, M5A-1T8