April 16, 2019
Hudbay Minerals sued by shareholders, as landmark lawsuits for gang-rapes, killing and aggravated assault in Guatemala continue
- Support Mayan Q’eqchi’ struggles for community defense & justice: See below
- Two supporters will match donations to Rights Action (up to $25,000), made by April 20, 2019
Hudbay Announces Commencement of Legal Proceedings by Waterton Global Resource Mgmt
April 16, 2019
TORONTO, April 16, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Hudbay Minerals Inc. (“Hudbay” or the “company”) (TSX, NYSE: HBM) today announced that Waterton Global Resource Management, Inc. (“Waterton”), which is currently waging a proxy contest against the company, has commenced a legal proceeding in the Ontario Superior Court against Hudbay. Waterton alleges that the company’s management information circular in respect of its annual and special meeting of shareholders to be held on May 7, 2019 contains misrepresentations and seeks to constrain the company’s ability to solicit proxies. Hudbay believes that the litigation is frivolous and will vigorously defend itself. The company will seek to recover its legal costs from Waterton and will provide further updates on this matter as developments warrant.
- Canadian Companies Mining With The Genocidal Generals In Guatemala, by Grahame Russell, Rights Action, April 6, 2019, https://mailchi.mp/rightsaction/mining-with-the-genocidal-general-in-guatemala
- Payments of more than $100,000 (U.S.) to Guatemalan military and police leading up to destruction of Maya Q’eqchi’ village of Lote 8, when 11 women were gang-raped, Globe & Mail “Report on Business”, https://mailchi.mp/rightsaction/payments-of-more-than-100000-us-to-guatemalan-military-and-police
- People are dying because of [Canadian] mines. It’s time for the killing to stop, Globe & Mail “Report on Business”, https://mailchi.mp/rightsaction/people-are-dying-because-of-canadian-mines
- CBC documentary “In search of a perfect world”: Meet Guatemalans Angelica Choc & German Chub, lawyer Murray Klippenstein, & Grahame Russell, taking Hudbay Minerals to court, https://mailchi.mp/rightsaction/cbc-documentary-meet-guatemalans-angelica-choc-german-chub
(Canada & U.S.)
- Matching Donors: Supporters will match donations (up to $25,000) until April 20, 2019
With your donations, Rights Action will continue to support the community defense and justice struggles of the Q’eqchi’ people, and community/ human rights/ environmental defenders across Guatemala and Honduras.
- U.S.: Box 50887, Washington DC, 20091-0887
- Canada: (Box 552) 351 Queen St. E, Toronto ON, M5A-1T8