Meetings: May 2016-17
Our meeting schedule is changing! Starting next month, we will meet the last Wednesday of each month, including summer months (same location & time). Here are the meeting dates:
2016: May 25, June 29, July 27*, Aug. 31, Sept. 28, Oct. 26, Nov. 30, Dec. 28*
*summer potluck *winter potluck
2017: Jan. 25, Feb. 22, Mar. 29, April 26, May 31
Highlights from our March meeting:
1) AQUAFABA is the liquid that beans/legumes have been cooked in (usually chickpea 'juice'). Aquafaba can be used instead of egg whites in recipes [3 Tbsp. aquafaba = 1 egg]. Valerie explained the "magic" of making meringue from aquafaba; here is her recipe for Meringue Cookies: Mix 3/4 c. aquafava (liquid from can of chick peas) + 1/4 tsp. cream of tarter + 1/4 c. maple syrup. Bake 2 hrs. at 200ºF.
To learn more, here are some sites:
* The Official Aquafaba Website & Facebook
* Extra-Light Vegan Pancakes (for Stan!)
* 13 Amazing Recipes with Chickpea Brine
We will discuss more aquafaba recipes at the Monday night meeting.
2) WHEAT BERRIES are the entire, edible part of the wheat kernel and are quite nutritious [explanation from Happy Herbivore]. Roberta explained that, with a nutty taste and chewy consistency, wheat berries are great addition to soups and salads. Here are cooking tips:
* Cooking wheat berries on stovetop
* Cooked wheat berries
3) PAST TOPICS. The topic of microwaves arose; I wrote about the safety & convenience of microwaves in a previous newsletter. For new people joining our group, I created an Index of Newsletter Topics on my website (along with Plant-Based Eating Resource page).
APRIL 25th MEETING
Allergies!! We will discuss substitutions for food allergies, as well as anti-inflammatory, immune system enhancing foods to combat the effects of seasonal allergies.
|A request for banana bread recipes ...
Banana Muffins from Forks Over Knives
4 ripe bananas
2 c. ground oats
½ c. unsweetened apple juice
½ c. unsweetened applesauce
2 tbsp. ground flax seeds
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tbsp. alcohol-free vanilla extract
½ tbsp. apple cider vinegar
½ tbsp. aluminum-free baking powder
½ tsp. sodium-free baking soda
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners. Put dry ingredients in bowl. Puree bananas in blender or food processor. Add apple juice, applesauce, extract & apple cider vinegar; blend again. Pour over dry ingredients; mix until just combined. Pour into muffin liners. Bake for 20-22 min. until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
If adding 2 c. frozen blueberries, increase baking time 8-10 min.
Banana Bread from Neal Barnard
1 c. - 2 bananas
1/4 c. maple syrup
1 1/4 c. soy or almond milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/4 c. whole-wheat flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/3 c. walnuts, chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix bananas, syrup, plant milk, & vanilla in bowl. In separate bowl stir together remaining ingredients, except walnuts. Gradually stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients, until well combined. Batter will be thick. Add walnuts. In prepared 8" baking pan, bake 30-35 min., until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
From a previous newsletter, Banana Oat Bars.
And, who knew that February 23rd was National Banana Bread Day?! Here are some additional recipes from onegreenplanet.org.