In November of 1782 the Massachusetts state Legislature sought a center for Berkshire County legal activities more centrally located than Great Barrington.
Lenox was selected. And although Great Barrington, Stockbridge, and Pittsfield protested the choice, Lenox persevered and remained the county seat until 1867. The presence of the court created non-farm jobs ranging from working in the Old Red Inn(Curtis Hotel), renting out horses, clerking and provisioning visitors. It attracted judges, lawyers and contributed to Lenox becoming an early center of culture and education.
The bustling little county seat soon needed a bigger courthouse and, in 1815, built a lovely brick building, now the Lenox Library.
The original courthouse was used as the town Hall until the new Town Hall was built in 1906. It remained a center of town life through the 19th century.
Th original courthouse was moved to Housatonic St. where it stands today (with extensions and other changes) today.