Search Begins for Next UT Knoxville Chancellor
The search has begun for the next chancellor to lead the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. I would like to share information with you about the position and process and encourage your involvement.
As the chief academic and administrative officer of the UT Knoxville campus, the chancellor is responsible for providing visionary leadership and promoting continued development of the campus’s academic programs, research productivity, national reputation of excellence and various strategic initiatives.
I invite anyone interested in nominating a candidate or applying for the position to do so through the search website. We’ve developed an aggressive timeline and hope to select the next chancellor by the end of the calendar year.
The committee, chaired by Steve Mangum, dean and professor of the UT Knoxville Haslam College of Business, met for the first time today. The committee includes members of the UT Board of Trustees and faculty, staff, student, alumni and community leaders:
- Charlie Anderson, UT trustee; president and CEO, Anderson Media
- Mark Dean, John Fisher Distinguished Professor, College of Engineering, UT Knoxville
- Taylor Eighmy, vice chancellor for research and engagement, UT Knoxville
- Brian Ferguson, past UT trustee vice chairman; retired executive chairman and CEO, Eastman Chemical Company
- Denise Gardner, assistant provost and director of institutional research, UT Knoxville
- Heather Hirschfeld, professor of English and former director of the Marco Institute for Medieval and Renaissance Studies, UT Knoxville
- Carson Hollingsworth, president of the Student Government Association, UT Knoxville
- Bonnie Ownley, professor of plant sciences and president of the Faculty Senate, UT Knoxville
- Bob Smith, interim chancellor, UT Martin
- Jeremy Smith, professor and Governor’s Chair for molecular biophysics, UT Knoxville
- Donna Thomas, senior associate athletics director, UT Knoxville
- Alan Wilson, past president, UT Alumni Board
- Thomas Zacharia, deputy director for science and technology, Oak Ridge National Laboratory; joint faculty associate professor, Bredesen Center for Interdisciplinary Research and Graduate Education, UT Knoxville
Parker Executive Search is working with the committee to identify, recruit and recommend candidates on a national level and facilitate search processes.
Linda Hendricks Harig, UT vice president and UT Knoxville vice chancellor for human resources, and Ashlie Czyz, director of HR programs and system executive recruiter, are serving as advisers to the committee.
Thank you for your involvement in this important process and for all you do for the University.
All the best,