11:15am - Stations of the Cross
noon - Veneration of the Cross
(both outdoors at St Andrews)
7:30pm - Worship with Scripture and Poetry (zoom)
8am-5pm - St Andrew's Church open for prayer
5pm - Easter Vigil (outdoors at St Andrews)
9am - Holy Communion (outdoors at Hope)
10am - get settled online
10:30am - Celebratory Easter Sunday Worship
online here: https://zoom.us/j/338100220
or call in: 301 715 8592
(Meeting ID : 338 100 220)
5:30-7pm - Humble Walk student worship
see links for online events at www.hopecp.org
Dear People of Hope,
We have entered Holy Week, the days in our church year when we tell and hear one of the most central stories of our faith. We hear the same stories each year, but our world is different, we are different as we hear them.
You are invited to the range of worship services below. Prepare your own space and join us by zoom. Dress for the weather and join us outdoors. Invite others to join you for these holy services.
This year, our Metro DC Synod shares a video devotion each day. You can watch each one on the synod's youtube page: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=metrodc+elca.
I look forward to sharing this faith story with you.
Peace of Christ,
------- Watch our Sunday worship services here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb3sPisSvuvo7IhDIFQklbg
------- Watch special music here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUk1vn17qxQPVJzvn4CYm7Q ------- For additional calendar notes or Zoom links, visit our website: www.hopecp.org
Holy Week Schedule various dates/times; all same zoom link; some outdoors
March 28-April 4
Under more typical circumstances, church leaders would prepare the worship space for these special services. This year, you are invited to prepare your home for each service with the notes and resources listed below.
Worship link and password
All worship services will be at our usual worship link:
or by calling: 301-715-8592; Meeting ID #338 100 220
Maundy Thursday; Agape Meal, April 1
6:30pm dinner church, foot-washing and clearing the table by zoom
This is the service that requires the most preparation. To prepare your home for the service, please do the following –
1. Prepare a simple meatless meal to share in your home that is fitting with your own dietary requirements and Lenten fast. A Mediterranean style meal is often chosen for Agape Meals, but any foods are fine as long as they are simple. Salads, soups, simple meatless proteins, fruits and nuts, and simple grains or pastas can all be fine. Include a bit of bread and wine or juice, according to what is in keeping with your dietary requirements.
2. Set your space for your meal, with a laptop, tablet, cell phone, or internet-connected screen in the room where it can be visible to everyone during the meal.
3. Make sure your device is connected to the internet, and ready to run Zoom. Or if you prefer, have a phone and the call-in number for worship.
4. Optional: Set up what you need to wash each other’s feet. A wash basin, a pitcher with warm water, and a few towels are sufficient. If you wish to use a bit of soap, feel free. Set a foot-washing space in the room, just a bit away from the table. Or if you prefer, a hand-washing space to wash each other's hands. After the communal washing, have what you need for good washing and drying of hands at a nearby sink.
5. Set your table with your meal, and bring a Bible to the table with you. If you wish, you may light a couple of candles.
6. Be prepared to clear your table completely at the conclusion of the service.
7. At 6:30pm, link up to the shared online service for the beginning of this Maundy Thursday and Agape Meal liturgy. Then take your places at your table to partake in the meal and to participate as you are able in the hearing of the Word, the optional washing of one another’s feet, the remembering of Jesus Christ’s sharing of himself in the first Holy Eucharist, and readying ourselves to follow Jesus to the Cross.
Good Friday, April 2
11:15am Stations of the Cross - outdoors at St Andrew's Episcopal Church
12:00 noon Adoration of the Cross and Solemn Collects - outdoors at St Andrews Episcopal Church
7:30pm worship with scripture, poetry and music by zoom This is a simple service. You may want to light a candle or have a simple cross with you.
Holy Saturday, April 3
8am-5pm St Andrew's Episcopal Church open for individual prayer and reflection
5pm Easter Vigil worship outdoors at St Andrews Episcopal Church This service includes the baptism of Ann, for whom we have been praying throughout Lent.
Easter Sunday, April 4
9am Prayer and Holy Communion outdoors at Hope Lutheran Church and Student Center Please wear masks and maintain social distance from those not in your pod/household; if you are sick, please stay home.
10am sign-on; 10:30am Festive Easter Worship by zoom While it is sad to be distant at this celebratory Easter Sunday, we know that God is with us wherever we are. You are encouraged to light a candle for this service, bring a bowl of water to remember your baptism, bring any rhythm instruments or bells to make music more festive, bring flowers to your worship space, and dress for Easter, even though you’re worshiping from the comfort of your home.
movies@hope presents Paths of Glory Friday, April 9 at 7:30 p.m.
Join us as movies@hope Paths of Glory, directed by the great Stanley Kubrick. Kirk Douglas stars as a World War I officer who defends his soldiers against charges of cowardice after they refuse to continue a suicidal attack. Hope's own historian and film expert Tim Mulligan returns to introduce this anti-war classic from 1957, honored by the National Film Registry as a significant piece of our historical, cultural, and aesthetic film heritage.
Invite others and join yourself here: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86455123132.
Property Development Discernment Process Various events, various dates
Next week: Wednesday April 7, 7:30pm large group Details and Discernment session with Metro DC Synod staff. We'll have conversation with Pastors Lamar Baily and Erin Swenson-Reinhold.
Join here: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84894867510?pwd=N0NYeDlXYnllZERyYXhCQXREbGhCZz09
------- You can continue to find documents and past zoom meeting here. (listen or ask for the password): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1eKIHqllVHTMccTVkdvF3Hr1bcfwrfI13?usp=sharing
------- You may also ask questions here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSelxKRBRAHdpWqbPJPq3QbEKp-A_vF8bqBgYjMwA2PbtyhzQw/viewform
Calendar and Links
Thursday April 1, 6:30pm Maundy/Holy Thursday Agape Meal with Foot Washing https://us02web.zoom.us/j/338100220?pwd=dkdBZFhsZmJuWXNEWXNBajk5d1Nudz09
Friday April 2, Good Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5 p.m. - St Andrew's church open for prayer and reflection
11:15 a.m. - Stations of the Cross, in-person on the St Andrews front lawn
12:00 p.m. - Good Friday Liturgy with Veneration of the Cross, in-person on St Andrews church front lawn
Friday April 2, 7:30 p.m. Good Friday Worship https://us02web.zoom.us/j/338100220?pwd=dkdBZFhsZmJuWXNEWXNBajk5d1Nudz09
Saturday April 3, Holy Saturday
8:00 a.m. - 5 p.m. - church open for prayer and reflection
Saturday April 3, 5pm Easter Vigil with Baptism & Holy Communion
in person on St Andrew's Episcopal Church front lawn
Sunday April 4, 9am Easter Sunday Prayer and Communion Sunday
outdoors at Hope Lutheran Church and Student Center
Sunday April 4, 10:30am Festive Easter Sunday Worship https://us02web.zoom.us/j/338100220?pwd=dkdBZFhsZmJuWXNEWXNBajk5d1Nudz09
Wednesday April 7, 7:30pm, Large Group Development session with Metro DC Synod Staff
Friday April 9, 7:30pm, movies@hope presents Paths of Glory
Sunday April 11, 10:30m Family Friendly Sunday Worship
Wednesday April 14, 7:30pm Coffee and Theology with St Andrews (theme Jesus and Redemption) https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89794722686
Friday May 7, 7:30pm, movies@hope presents 76 Days
Friday June 4, 7:30pm, movies@hope presents Shoplifters