REMINDERS FOR THE COMING MONTHS
- All weaning of calves should be finished, consider parasite control programs for weaners over winter.
- Pastures should be monitored for germination and locked up to allow the leaf area index (LAI) to increase so that pasture growth rates can be maximised up until soil temperatures become a limiting factor.
- Where possible our improved perennial pastures such as phalaris and sub clover should be allowed to accumulate to 1,000 - 1,500 kg DM/ Ha to maximise growth rates and then grazed down to and maintained at 1,000kg DM/ Ha.
- Consider pre-lambing shearing and keep a watchful eye out for any late flystrike.
- Identify any low BCS cows < 3 /5 BCS and preferentially feed to have at a calving BCS of 3.5
- Remember to have Pestivirus immunity assessed in the maiden heifers somewhere between May and July.
- Sheep producers need to consider monitoring worm egg levels post the autumn break, particularly those mobs that did not receive a second summer drench treatment.
- Due to the weather and season all dog owners need to be mindful of 1080 baits put out before lambing as well as ensuring that snail and rat bait is safely put away where your pets cannot reach it.
Contact the HVC Office to discuss any of these reminders, and book an appointment.