Sandwich First Baptist Church began as an informal church group of former slaves in the 1820's. They worshiped outdoors and in the homes of individual members until a log cabin was constructed in 1847.
The current church was built in 1851 on land donated by the Crown on Lot 22 West Peter Street (located today at 3652 Peter Street). Fugitive slaves worked to construct the new church with hand hewn lumber and bricks. The clay for the bricks was obtained from the riverbank and fired in a hand-made kiln.
Sandwich First Baptist Church was designated a national historic site of Canada in 1999. It represents the villages built by Black congregations to accommodate the growing communities created by the arriving Underground Railroad refugees.
Museum Windsor collection, P6205.