This piece of artwork celebrates the history of Transit Windsor. On March 2, 1872, the Sandwich and Windsor Passenger Railway was incorporated by an act of legislation, to provide public transit by means of a horse drawn streetcar. This streetcar travelled along what is now University Avenue to the Sandwich mineral springs.
After facing foreclosure in 1880, the company reorganized in 1887 under the name Sandwich, Windsor & Amherstburg Railway, and provided public transit for the next ninety years. In 1970, the SW&A became part of the corporation of the City of Windsor, and in 1977 it was renamed Transit Windsor.
Gift of the Mayor’s Office, 2016.23.1