Join us as we celebrate another year of conference ministries! Here are just a few things you can expect:
- A dynamic message from Pastor Allan Serrano, MWC Director of Hispanic Church Ministry, at Friday evening's worship service.
- A vote to welcome Iglesia Evangelica Siloe Covenant Church into membership at Gather 2015.
- A vote for Superintendent Tammy Swanson-Draheim's re-election.
- Recognition of those to be Ordained to Word and Sacrament.
- Updates on conference priorities and ministries.
- Compelling conversation and fellowship with our brothers and sisters in Christ.
A few other tidbits:
- It's not too late to register! Click here for more information. Online registration is available.
- Churches, be sure to inform your delegates of upcoming votes and how they can best act on your church's behalf. Also, be sure your delegates have registered!
- We've selected Evidence by Citizen Way as our theme song for the weekend. Click here to learn it in advance!
For those unable to attend, we ask that you join us in spirit by praying over the event. We look forward to celebrating with you!
First-Ever MWC Latino Leadership Gathering
During the month of March, the leadership teams of four Hispanic Covenant churches met to discuss their ministries and identify how to encourage the growth of an emerging generation of Latino leaders. Director of Hispanic Church Ministry Allan Serrano, Pastor Dave Scherrer and Director of Missional Leadership Development Dan Pietrzyk helped facilitate the conversation. Approximately 45 leaders gathered for this first-ever Latino leadership team gathering in the Midwest Conference, hosted by Hillcrest Covenant Church of Prairie Village, Kansas. There was great synergy of interest and an abundance of joy in this beginning step to identify
how our Hispanic churches can work together to develop the next generation of missional leaders.
- Pan y Vino Covenant Church, Prairie Village, KS – Pastor William Lopez
- Alfa y Omega Covenant Church, Carthage, MO – Pastor Wuifor Portillo
- Siloe Covenant Church, Kansas City, KS – Pastor Jose Sanchez Rodriguez
- La Miel Covenant Church, Salina, KS – Pastor Dario Vasquez
Churches Working Together
Churches working together to transform lives
is part of the vision of the Midwest Conference of the Evangelical Covenant Church. It’s a good sound byte! We talk about it, we encourage it whenever we gather as a larger fellowship of churches, but how does that vision translate into practice?
In the spring of 2014, Town and Country Pastors Dan Olson (Waverly, NE), Matt Norlen (Wausa, NE), Jodi Moore (Ceresco, NE), Abby Jones (Stromsburg, NE), and Kelly Johnston (Wakefield, NE) began asking what their churches could do together that would be difficult to do by themselves. Through this collaboration, the five churches were able to generate substantial resources for a joint retreat.
That vision became reality on March 20-21, 2015, when thirty couples gathered at the Divots Conference Center in Norfolk, Nebraska, for the Marriage for Real
couples retreat. Speakers Lisa and Bill Orris, co-pastors of Hope Covenant Church in Crystal Lake, Illinois, encouraged participants to prioritize the husband-wife relationship as the priority relationship. Other topics covered included conflict, mutual submission, brokenness and intimacy. Retreat participants also had the opportunity to worship together, pray and enjoy getting to know couples from other churches in Nebraska.
Participant response for the retreat was positive. Julie Brazee from the Evangelical Covenant Church in Wausa expressed, “What a fantastic weekend!!! Thank you for making sure we got to this!!! This was an eye-opening retreat!! And . . . I got to spend time with the hubby . . . without interruption! How much better does it get?!?”
Dialogue has already begun on what the next event might look like. Churches working together truly can make a Kingdom impact in communities and marriages.
Matt Norlen serves as pastor of the Evangelical Covenant Church in Wausa, Nebraska.
SAVE THE DATE!
"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me."
The 2015 Covenant Annual Meeting will be held in the Midwest Conference this year! Prior to the business portion of the weekend, Covenanters from all over the nation are invited to Experience Kansas City
to see how Covenant people in the area are in partnership with other agencies, non-profits and governmental agencies to serve the hungry, thirsty, stranger, naked, sick and imprisoned. Click here
to learn more!
SAVE THE DATE!
2015 MWC Fall Pastors Retreat
Carol Joy Holling Retreat Center
October 5-7, 2015
Speaker - Mark Novak
Franciscan Retreat Center
Colorado Springs, CO
October 19-21, 2015
Speaker - Remy Diederich
Spiritual Direction in the Midwest Conference
Spiritual Direction is just one of the many Midwest Conference ministries that will be highlighted at the Annual Ministry Celebration's Ministry Fair. For more information, check out our website
or download the brochure