DEADLINE 29 JANUARY: Endorse NGO CoM Letter to the US Mission on Climate Displacement
The NGO Committee on Migration is requesting signatures, from member organizations, on a letter to the US Mission addressing climate displacement.
The letter serves as an introduction to our committee, encourages US leadership and action in the interrelated areas of environment and human mobility, and invites collaboration and partnership between the NGO Committee on Migration and the US government in the term ahead.
We are aiming to secure as many member organization endorsements as possible. Interested members of the NGO Committee on Migration may sign on by completing the online form no later than the deadline of 29 January - TODAY!
Click here to read the letter and click here to sign on (if you are a member of the NGO CoM).
DEADLINE 12 February: Survey on Migrant and Refugee Victims of Xenophobia and Intolerance in the Context of the Coronavirus Pandemic
The NGO Committee on Migration is requesting responses to a survey prepared by the Subcommittee on Xenophobia and Social Inclusion to assess the impact COVID-19 has had on the migrant population in relation to xenophobia and social exclusion.
The survey is available here in English, Spanish, and French. Please send it out as widely as possible through your networks. Responses must be received by 12 February.
We are seeking replies from NGOs, academia, civil society institutions and United Nations entities in order to obtain as comprehensive data as possible on this essential grassroots work. Please consult the linked survey for an account of how we plan to use the data and publish the results.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. If you have any further questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Civil Society Updates on the Global Forum on Migration and Development
The 13th Global Forum on Migration and Development (GFMD) wrapped up on the 26th of January. For those who were unable to attend, we encourage you to visit the GFMD Civil Society website, where you can access the latest news updates, side event summaries, and discussion highlights.
Invitation to attend CSocD Side Event Co-Sponsored by the NGO Committee on Migration
The NGO Committee on Migration (NGO CoM) invites you to attend the Commission for Social Development (CSocD) side event, "Can a 'Mouse' Transform the Lives of the Youngest, Uprooted Children?: ICT, Forcibly Displaced Families and Early Childhood Interventions."
The event is co-sponsored by the NGO CoM and will take place from 1:15-2:30pm (EST) on 17 February 2021.
It will feature the following speakers:
- Danielle De La Fuente, Founder & Executive Director of Amal Alliance
- "Education Disrupted: Reimagining Learning during the Pandemic"
- Niels Peter Rygaard, Co-Founder & CEO Fairstart Foundation
- "How can governments and NGOs cooperate to improve the mental health and education of abandoned children?"
- Isabel Christina Granada Garces, Senior Sector Specialist, Migration Initiative - Inter-American Development Bank
- "Piloting Digital Solutions for Migrant Children in Colombia, Peru, and Brazil"
- Aaron Meyerson, Deputy Chief Technology Officer for Broadband, New York City Mayor's Office of the Chief Technology Officer
- "The NYC Internet Master Plan and Bridging the Digital Divide"
See the event flyer for more details, and click here to register.
Renew your CoM Membership & Join a Subcommittee!
We are continuing the process of collecting annual membership dues and convening subcommittees.
The NGO Committee on Migration organizes many of its activities through member participation in the following four subcommittees:
By formally joining a subcommittee, you will be able to receive a link to access the online subcommittee gatherings, which precede the general portion of each Member Meeting.
- Environment / Climate-Induced Displacement
- Migrant & Refugee Children
- Migrants in Situations of Vulnerability / Mixed Migration
- Xenophobia & Social Inclusion
Click here to renew your CoM membership and here to join one of the four subcommittees listed above!