Issue 277. October 3, 2020.
View this email in your browser
The daily email newsletter serving York City fans since 1997

Warrington Rylands 0
York City 1

Warrington Rylands 0 York City 1

By Joe Richardson

YORK City are through to the third qualifying round of the FA Cup following a hard-fought 1-0 win at Warrington Rylands.

The visitors took the lead through Sean Newton's 40th-minute free kick and held on in the face of a tenacious and determined effort from the hosts.

In just their second ever FA Cup match at Gorsey Lane, Rylands acquitted themselves well and made life very difficult for York with swift and direct passing through midfield.

Richard Scarisbrick could have made all the difference after the restart with a penalty but he put it wide.

Rylands put plenty of pressure on York but the higher-tier Minstermen saw the game out.

York boss Steve Watson made no changes from the side that beat Notts County 3-0 in the final game of pre-season. The only differences lay on the stripped-back bench, with Josh King and Owen Gamble missing out.

Goalscorers in the first half last week Akil Wright and Jake Cassidy were rewarded with starting berths while Alex Wollerton returned to the substitutes bench. Supporting Wright in midfield was Michael Woods and Paddy McLaughlin.

Warrington Rylands had proved themselves to be no pushovers in the FA Cup, beating fellow Ste 5 side 1874 Northwich 6-1, Step 4 side Clitheroe 1-0 and seeing off Step 3 side Whitby Town on penalties.

With seven goals between them in this Cup campaign so far, Ste Milne and Andy Scarisbrick were on from the start, with striker Kane Drummond – who also netted in the 74 thumping – in attack.

Rylands had the most exciting of the early chances, and City had Pete Jameson to thank for keeping them level inside the first 10 minutes. Milne shook off the attentions of Robbie Tinkler to the right of the box and chipped in for Drummond to head from inside the six-yard box. Though the effort lacked power, it was a good reaction save from the keeper, who was quick to get up and save from the drilled second follow-up attempt.

As might have been expected, York had more of the ball at their feet – but it was far from comfortable. A greasy surface and sharp opposition meant they had no time to settle, and had to be on their guard for quick balls through the midfield.

A case in point was McLaughlin’s excellent block off the line from Drummond, who was set free by a great chipped ball from Stephen Wolhunter. Paul Shanley had scuffed majestically high from a cross following good Rylands play down the right.

By the half hour, the cumulative fouls amassed by both sides was nearing double figures. Kieran Kennedy received a yellow for a sliding tackle which sent Shanley theatrically up into the air.

Meanwhile, York had their closest effort yet from a free kick 20 yards out, Sean Newton curling left-footed towards Graeme McCall’s top right corner. The keeper was equal to it and McLaughlin grazed the top of the crossbar with the follow-up volley.

Newton put York in front in the 40th minute. The 10th foul of the game arrived – captain Gary Kenny sliding in on Cassidy – and gave the centre-back a central free kick from 19 yards out. He made no mistake this time, planting it low through the wall and to McCall’s bottom left.

It should have been two a couple of minutes later. Olly Dyson, who had been an engaging figure on the ball across the front line, delicately played Wright through one-on-one with McCall but the midfielder drove his shot against the left-hand upright.

The second half started with the pace and fluidity the game promised before the break. Scott Barrow and Cassidy looked to link up heading into the area and, when that move broke down, Wright looked to lay off Woods from inside the area, the latter seeing his shot blocked. For Rylands, a diving Milne turned his acrobatic effort over from Warren Gerrard’s whipped cross in.

Ten minutes after the restart, Rylands had a penalty. Shanley went down under Tinkler’s challenge to the delight of the 300 fans in attendance. Scarisbrick sent Jameson the wrong way but hit the outside of the keeper’s left-hand post.

Straight from the goal kick, Rylands came back at York in numbers and Jameson had to turn Milne’s low effort round the post.

The hosts were geed up and pushed for the equaliser but, in doing so, left space at the back for Dyson to exploit. The striker lost possession under good defensive pressure.

Just after the hour, McCall was called on to keep Rylands in the game, and he did so fantastically, getting down quickly to turn away Cassidy’s header from eight yards.

Substitute Matty Brown and Cassidy both had good chances to make York’s lead more secure in the following 10, the former skying his shot after good hold-up play from fellow sub Reon Potts, while Cassidy – collecting a pass from the driving Newton – went high and wide.

All the while, Rylands asked questions of York’s back line with their quick forward play and some good interplay with 15 minutes to go set Drummond running through on Jameson but City were able to scramble the ball away.

Freddie Potter's header with two minutes to go went inches wide.

Star man: Pete Jameson. Though he had few material stops to make, his double save in the first half could have been the building block for York's win.

York City manager Steve Watson happy to be past Warrington Rylands in FA Cup

By Joe Richardson  

THOUGH York City's win at Warrington Rylands was not the easiest on the eye, manager Steve Watson believes that will be forgotten if his side can keep going in the FA Cup.

The second qualifying round trip to Rylands was a tough one for City, who battled with the elements on a very rainy day and a home side desperate to make their mark in the competition.

On another day, they might very well have. Rylands were more than competent on and off the ball, and came within the width of a post of scoring a second-half penalty, which could have changed the course of the game.

As it was, Sean Newton's free kick finish from the end of the first half proved enough.

City were not bereft of other chances on goal, though - Jake Cassidy had a header very well saved by Graeme McCall in the second half, to name probably the best of them - but it certainly was not the commanding performance fans were treated to at Notts County last week.

"It's one we've got past now," Watson said. "The lads will have got a lot of fitness out of that.

"Even though it probably wasn't brilliant on the eye at times, if you look at the amount of ground covered by Jake Cassidy, Olly just behind him, but if you look at the amount of effort from Akil, Paddy, Woodsy - even at the end when Scotty Barrow broke and ran nearly 100 yards to put the ball over the bar - which was unfortunate for him - the work rate was great.

"The quality on a difficult day was not where we wanted to be but you have to win in all different kinds of ways and if we have a good cup run, nobody will remember the out-and-out performance of today.

"It was a really difficult game," he added.

"First of all, I want to give a great deal of credit to Rylands, I thought they were outstanding and I want to wish them all the best for the season.

"It was one of the biggest games in their history and they came out fighting. They've done the club proud.

"On our part, it was a difficult afternoon. We didn't cope with things in our box brilliantly. I don't think we got first contact many times and when we did, I don't think it was cleared with any kind of clarity.

"We were broken on a few times. The shape was good they had, they sat in with a four and a five, and if we weren't playing quickly in the first half, they were back in shape and they broke on us at pace.

"But Sean hit the first free kick well and the second went in the back of the net.

"They had their chances, we had ours. Obviously the big point for them would be the penalty."

Post-match interviews

Goalscorer Sean Newton interviewed after York City's FA Cup win. Courtesy YorkCityFC via YouTube.
York City manager Steve Watson interviewed after his side's win at Warrington Rylands. Courtesy YorkCityFC via YouTube.

Seven of York City's National League (North) rivals go out of the cup

Seven of York City's National League North rivals go into their first league fixtures this week with losing form.

Gateshead, Curzon Ashton, Bradford Park Avenue, AFC Fylde, Kidderminster Harriers, Leamington and Gloucester City all went out of the FA Cup on Saturday.

Darlington, AFC Telford, Chester and Brackley Town all needed penalties to see them through to the next round.

Saturday's FA Cup results involving NLN clubs:

Guiseley 4 Atherton Collieries 0
Chorley 2 Gateshead 1
Southport 2 Morpeth Town 1
Whitley Bay 2 Blyth Spartans 4
Farsley Celtic 2 Radcliffe 1
Curzon Ashton 1 FC United of Manchester 2
Darlington 2 Prescot Cables 2 (Darlington won 5-4 on penalties)
Bradford Park Avenue 1 Spennymoor Town 3
Warrington Rylands 0 York City 1
Hyde United 4 AFC Fylde 2
Boston United 4 AFC Mansfield 2
Chasetown 1 AFC Telford United 1 (Telford won 5-4 on penalties)
Coalville Town 1 Alfreton Town 2
Alvechurch 2 Kidderminster Harriers 2 (Alvechurch won 4-2 on penalties)
Leamington 0 Banbury United 1
Worksop Town 2 Chester 2 (Chester won 5-3 on penalties)
Brackley Town 2 Billericay Town 2 (Brackley won 4-2 on penalties)
Kettering Town 2 Chelmsford City 0
Christchurch 1 Gloucester City 1 (Christchurch won 6-5 on penalties)
Gosport Borough 1 Hereford 3

The draw for the third round qualifying will be made on Monday and released at 1pm (UK time).

Team details

Warrington Rylands: McCall, Simpson (Denman 90), Wolhunter (Freeman 71), Kenny, Gerrard, Sheen (Potter 73), Doyle, Scarisbrick, Milne, Shanley, Drummond. Subs: Jones, Lees, Morris, McNamara.

Yellow cards: Sheen, Simpson, Doyle

York City: Jameson 7, Duckworth 5, Barrow 6, Newton 6, Kennedy 6, Tinkler 5 (Brown 65), Wright 6, Woods 6, Cassidy 6, Dyson 6 (Potts 65), McLaughlin 6. Subs: Flatters, Spratt, Wollerton, Guilfoyle.

Goals: Newton (40)

Yellow cards: Kennedy

Submit your views for publication by emailing the editor here.
Chris Crowcroft (Ludlow)

Phew! We looked a good footballing side in the first half, scrappier in the second but showed resilience to see it out.

Barrow looked useful if not yet as sharp in his crossing as Ferguson was, Newton reassured as ever (and got the goal, not for the first time), Cassidy up front a mixed bag tho’ a handful which is what you want, Wood and Dyson a bit profligate.

We missed two sitters but so did they including the penalty – I’m sure all of us watching saw the tackle about to happen in horrified slow motion.

Jameson got us out of trouble and was the busier keeper.

Winning ugly is a valuable mindset.
Malcolm Clarke (Midlands)

That was a strange experience!

City on TV but I didn’t know the large majority of the team - when we could see them through the rain-soaked lens that is!

Squeaky bum time big style! It should have been about 4 all, and the proverbial visitor from Mars would struggle to say which team plays 3 leagues above the other!

Not really a day to judge but I didn’t see too much to make me think this team will do better than last seasons.

But they got the job done which is the bottom line.

Hopefully, they will look more assured on Tuesday.
Ray Taylor (Warrington)

I can fully understand Kieth Gough (TOOAB, Issue 276) not wishing to travel to matches, especially in the winter.  I am even older than Keith and have the same reservations about driving over the Pennines and back, more so on the Tuesday night fixtures.  

In normal times I use the train as often as possible on Saturday matches. If ever we move into the new stadium will have to change the return times but I can cope with that.

Only just realised that Harvey Barnes is the son of Paul. Proves one is never too old to learn!

Monsoon weather here in Warrington 3 hours before kick-off.  

Win the toss and kick with the tide during the first half.
Paul Bowser (Thirsk)

Thank you to Dave King (TOOAB Issue 275) and others previously for their kind words about my ‘Bootham Crescent: A Second Home’ book.

There are still a few copies remaining which I have listed on ebay, or drop me an email to for other purchase options. Needless to say, it makes a good Christmas present ... 

Book two has been another labour of love, and I had hoped to have it out by now but the wider events have delayed it like everything else.

The closing chapter, in particular, has become a moving target of added content I never envisaged having to write! 

It is all but complete now, and is undergoing final proof reading by Chris Forth who is doing a wonderful job in making lots of observations and suggestions. My genuine thanks to him, and to Terry Espiner and Malcolm Ferguson for their reviews earlier in the process. 

Based on book one timescales, it will be at least three months from the first draft going to the designers to the finished product going out. My best guess is that it will be published in February/March of next year.

I will open up a subscription list once I get more idea on the cover price, as book two will be far bigger than book one and is hopefully as well received.   

Finally, can I just say that I am gutted for Dave Smith, given that he has followed City everywhere for decades to then be cruelly deprived of watching the team in his home town.

You’d be forgiven, Dave, if you were spotted on TV in the crowd wearing a Warrington scarf on this occasion…

York City have the capacity to host fans and uphold restrictions believes Micky Cummins

By Joe Richardson 

YORK City assistant manager Micky Cummins believes the club could accommodate fans and still uphold restrictions - but insists on a professional attitude in getting on with the task at hand.

As an 'elite' club, York are unable to host supporters, while clubs at Northern Premier League premier division level can have 600.

Uncertainty recently arose over the National League's start date when the Government announced that fans' return to live matches will be delayed beyond early October. But with the confirmation of a grant for teams, it is hoped the season will be able to commence as originally planned.

"When we set out, we had the start date in mind, so we got on with the football side of preparation," Cummins said. "We have just tried to be professional and get (the players) best prepared.

"We feel that it's worked out okay. It could have been a lot better - it could have been only home fans who could attend or having social distancing in stadiums. You're in an outdoor space and we certainly have the capacity to fill those needs, but the fact is these are the rules.

"These are the conditions and it's just being professional and getting on with it."

25 years on from York City winning Manchester United cup tie

By Jacob Kilbride

TODAY marks 25 years since York City completed their incredible League Cup tie victory over Manchester United.

York returned to a packed-Bootham Crescent with a three-goal cushion after their incredible 3-0 win at Old Trafford and staved off the their star-studded visitors to hold on for a 3-1 defeat.

Captain Steve Tutill and Nigel Pepper, who played in both legs of the tie, met up at Haxby Sports Bar to watch back the highlights of the game in the second part of two podcasts run by York Hospital Ball to celebrate the anniversary.

Having rested several starters for the first leg, United boss Sir Alex Ferguson took no such chances at the second occasion, as household names Peter Schmeichel, Steve Bruce, Paul Scholes, Eric Cantona and Andy Cole all came into starting eleven, with Roy Keane on the bench.

“I always felt in the return leg, we’ll get this back,” Ferguson said in a 2005 interview with York TV.

With almost 10,000 fans at Bootham Crescent and the first leg advantage, the expectation was on York to get through, Pepper said. “The pressure was probably now on us, given that we could have lost and still gone through,” he said.

“Before the game, the atmosphere was fantastic and during the game it was fantastic,” said Tutill.

“The atmosphere was brilliant, but it did dip when they started banging the goals in,” said Pepper.

“We were on the back foot from the word go,” added Tutill.

Indeed, York fell behind after just seven minutes when Cantona floated a pass to Scholes who buried his left-footed finish.

“What a player he was, Scholes,” said Pepper, “that first touch is ridiculous, frightening.”

On 14 minutes, it was 0-2 as Ryan Giggs played a cut-back pass to Terry Cooke who, in yards of space, finished calmly.

Pepper said: “I think that was a ‘Here we go...’ minute, because we’ve got 80 minutes left.” Tutill added: “The fact that they got two goals after ten minutes did send alarm bells ringing a little bit.”

And though United kept applying pressure, York’s nerves had calmed at this stage, with Paul Barnes seeing a great attempt tipped wide by Schmeichel.

“In a bizarre way, we’d settled into the game now after a mad ten minutes” said Tutill. “We needed to get to half-time with no more goals (conceded),” added Pepper.

York did better than holding out United as they found a clinical goal in the tie before the interval.

A strong Tony Barras tackle on halfway saw the Minstermen back in possession and on the counter-attack, Barnes got past Gary Pallister and Bruce and despite him swinging a foot at the ball, Scott Jordan was the man who got there first to send it into the left corner.

“They both tried to claim it after game!” said Pepper. Tutill reflected: “That was the goal we needed, it took the pressure off us massively. The timing was impeccable.”

As expected, United were dominant after half-time and had numerous chances through Keane, Cantona and Scholes.

Pepper said: “We were under pressure now and they were creating chance after chance after chance.

“They just kept coming and it was one of those where, at some point we were going to tire.”

Tutill continued: “There is such a massive incentive to keep on going, to get through against these.”

“The longer the game goes on, the more that they will start to panic,” Pepper added.

Eventually, the third goal came as Scholes scored his second, with ten minutes to go. Cole won the ball in the penalty area and after a pin-balling around a couple of City defenders, the ball fell to Scholes whose deflected shot squeezed in.

“It’s a lucky break with the deflection as well” said Pepper.

Tutill added: “The clock just never seemed to move! We were shattered at this point.”

United should well have levelled moments later when Scholes somehow put wide Giggs’ low cross from close range bang in front of goal.

“At this point, the tim helmet has come on,” said Tutill. “Even watching it back now, I still remember what I was thinking during the game.”

Pepper: “On another night, it could have been six or seven.”

Another low cross came in, this time from Keane and the ball stuck to the feet of Barras, metres from his own line but he just about manage to clear his lines before a swarm of United bodies surrounded him.

As the referee blew his whistle, it was goalkeeper Schmeichel who would have the last kick of the ball from a wayward shot from range, a microcosm of United’s onslaught.

“The relief afterwards was just immense,” said Tutill.

“You will never get a game like that again. I tried to swap shirts with Cantona but he didn’t even give me second glance, he just walked off.

“They just wanted to get off the pitch, but it would have been a nice gesture.

“It’s a night that Bootham Crescent will never forget.”

To listen to the full episode of the podcast, visit: To donate to York Hospital Radio, visit:

Please check the club's official website before planning travel.
Pre-season friendlies

Sat 5 Newcastle United U-23 1, York City 4 (Trialist, Olly Dyson, Rob Guilfoyle (2))
Tue 8 South Shields 3, York City 0 
Sat 12 Whitby Town 2, York City 0
Sat 19 York City 0, Stockport County 1
Sat 26 Notts County 0, York City 3 (Wright, Cassidy, Wollerton)

2020-21 season

York City joined the FA Cup in the 2nd qualifying round and will join the FA Trophy in the 2nd round proper.

Please note: No replays for FA Cup ties in the 2020-21 season.

Sat 3 Warrington Rylands 0, York City 1 (Newton) - Emirates FA Cup 2Q (City receive £3,375 prizemoney)
Tue 6 Chorley (h)
Sat 10 Farsley Celtic (a)
Tue 13 Emirates FA Cup 3Q
Sat 17 Brackley Town (h)
Sat 24 Emirates FA Cup 4Q
Sat 31 Kettering Town (h)

Sat 7 Emirates FA Cup 1R
Sat 7 Chester (h)
Sat 14 Kidderminster Harriers (a)
Tue 17 Gateshead (h)
Sat 21 AFC Fylde (h)
Sat 28 Emirates FA Cup 2R
Sat 28 Leamington (a)

Tue 1 Blyth Spartans (a)
Sat 5 Buildbase FA Trophy 2R (winners receive £5,250, losers receive £1,500)
Sat 12 Spennymoor Town (h)
Sat 19 Buildbase FA Trophy 3R (winners receive £6,000, losers receive £1,750)
Sat 26 Bradford Park Avenue (a)
Mon 28 Guiseley (h)

Sat 2 Bradford Park Avenue (h)
Sat 9 Emirates FA Cup 3R
Sat 9 Boston United (a)
Sat 16 Buildbase FA Trophy 4R (winners receive £7,500, losers receive £2,000)
Sat 16 Gloucester City (h)
Sat 23 Emirates FA Cup 4R
Sat 23 AFC Telford United (a)
Sat 30 Curzon Ashton (h)

Sat 6 Buildbase FA Trophy 5R (winners receive £7,500, losers receive £2,000)
Sat 6 Alfreton Town (a)
Tue 9 Darlington (a)
Wed 10 Emirates FA Cup 5R
Sat 13 Farsley Celtic (h)
Sat 20 Chorley (a)
Sat 27 Buildbase FA Trophy QF (winners receive £7,500, losers receive £2,000)
Sat 27 Hereford (h)

Sat 6 Brackley Town (a)
Sat 13 Southport (h)
Sat 20 Chester (a)
Sat 20 Emirates FA Cup QF
Tue 23 Gateshead (a)
Sat 27 Buildbase FA Trophy SF (winners receive £15,000, losers receive £5,000)
Sat 27 Kidderminster Harriers (h)

Fri 2 AFC Fylde (a)
Mon 5 Leamington (h)
Sat 10 Spennymoor Town (a)
Tue 13 Blyth Spartans (h)
Sat 17 Emirates FA Cup SF
Sat 17 Kettering Town (a)
Sat 24 Darlington (h)

Sat 1 Guiseley (a)
Mon 3 Boston United (h)
Sat 8 Buildbase FA Trophy Final (Winners receive £60,000, losers receive £30,000)
Sat 8 Gloucester City (a)
Sat 15 Emirates FA Cup Final
Sat 15 AFC Telford United (h)
Sat 22 Curzon Ashton (a)
Sat 29 Alfreton Town (h)

Promotion play-off series
Sat 5/Sun 6 NLN play-offs 1R
Sat 12/Sun 13 NLN play-offs semi-final
Sat 19/Sun 20 NLN play-off final
Share Share
Tweet Tweet
Forward Forward


There’s Only One Arthur Bottom was first published as an almost-daily email newsletter in July 1997 and has been distributed continuously since. Subscriber numbers peaked at more than 1,100 when the club’s future was threatened by potential closure in 2001 but more than 800 subscribers, living in more than 30 countries, will receive this edition. Editor Josh Easby started the newsletter from New Zealand (where he lives today) but has variously produced and distributed it from the United Kingdom, Australia and (briefly) Italy.
Over the years, TOOAB subscribers have variously supported the club in many different ways, using the newsletter at times to share ideas that have helped the club and to raise money which has been used to buy much-needed equipment (for the physio room), sponsor members of the youth team and to sponsor senior players’ kit. Subscribers (who often call themselves ‘Arthurites’) often meet up for pre-match/post-match drinks and have arranged functions together.

Editorial policy

The opinions expressed in There's Only One Arthur Bottom do not necessarily represent the views of the publisher, nor is this newsletter endorsed in any way by York City Football Club.  Wherever possible, the contributions by subscribers are published unaltered.  However submissions will be rejected or amended if they are potentially defamatory or contain language likely to offend other subscribers. Unless good reasons are given, anonymous submissions are rejected. The publisher reserves the right to reproduce contributions to this newsletter on any website associated with the newsletter.
Copyright © 2020 Hurricane Press Ltd, All rights reserved.

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp