ERIE Economic News
13th ERIE Conference will be on Wednesday, July 27th
Friends of ERIE:
You are cordially invited to participate in the 13th conference of the Economic Research Institute of Erie in the Black School of Business at Penn State Erie, The Behrend College.
The conference will be held on Wednesday, July 27th at the Samuel P. “Pat” Black III Conference Center on the campus of Penn State Behrend. The theme of this year’s conference is The Impact of immigration on the Local Economy. With economic, social, political, and technological changes taking place across the world, often at a rapid pace, immigration and its impact have increasingly become contentious issues for discussion and debate. We therefore believe this an important and timely topic that will be of interest to many people, including local leaders in business, labor, and industry; individuals working or interested in local economic development; government officials; as well as immigrants who have joined our community. We hope the ideas discussed at the conference will spark further discussion of immigration-related topics across our community.
Highlights and topic coverage at the conference include:
- A summary of important recent trends in the Erie economy, including the newest edition of the ERIE Index of Entrepreneurship and innovation, and a brief overview of some of the immigration issues and trends in the Erie region
- Disentangling some immigration facts and fallacies
- An overview of the resources, challenges, successes and opportunities from the perspective of “practitioners” from the Multicultural Community Resource Center (MCRC) and the Erie Field Office of the U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants (USCRI)
- Reflections on immigrant experience from the perspective of a successful local immigrant business owner
- Some immigration issues from the perspective of a practicing attorney who specializes and works in this field
We are especially pleased to feature a keynote speaker, Dr. Pia Orrenius, a nationally known and highly respected expert on the economics of immigration
. Dr. Orrenius has served as Senior Economist on the Council of Economic Advisers in the Executive Office of the President, and is currently Vice President and Senior Economist at the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas
. Her academic research focuses on the labor market impacts of immigration, unauthorized immigration and U.S. immigration policy. She has written extensively on immigration issues and is co-author of the book Beside the Golden Door: U.S. Immigration Reform in a New Era of Globalization
We hope you will be able to join us for this event. To register for the conference, please visit our official conference registration website at: https://webforms.bd.psu.edu/erie-conference-registration
The registration fee is $175
(with a discounted price of $150
for members of nonprofit organizations) and includes a continental breakfast, lunch, and refreshments during a break. Seating is limited, so please register early!
We have made the conference registration website as user-friendly as possible. However, if you experience any problems with registering on the website, please feel free to contact our staff assistant Grace Martin at (814) 898-6716
during regular business hours.