Cold Weather Tips
Make sure your kids are prepared for colder conditions when waiting for the bus in the morning.
Parents and school administrators should review the following winter safety tips with their students who walk to and from the bus stops or schools:
- Dress appropriately for cold weather: sweaters, pants, winter coats, hats, scarves, socks and boots.
- Allow extra travel time to get to the bus stop or school.
- Wear bright jackets or coats so bus drivers can easily see you in the morning or evening.
- Stand at least 10 steps away (or back) from bus stops. Buses need extra room to stop where there is snow or ice.
- Do not walk or play on snow mounds or ice within 10 feet of the roadway - you could fall and slip into the roadway and be at risk of being struck by a vehicle.
- Do not cross the street at your bus stop until all traffic has come to a complete stop and the bus driver has signaled that it is safe to cross.
These quick tips will help keep your students and our bus drivers safe this Winter.