Representatives from our club attended the first Cork GAA Health & Wellbeing forum last month in St Finbarrs Club.
- GAA is a community based organisation, there is a role for clubs to promote Health & Wellbeing to all members and the wider community. There is more to the GAA than just on field activities.
- Some Partner associations were present with stands - Irish Cancer Society, Samaritans, Biabetes Ireland, Cork Mental Foundation, White Ribbon Ireland
- The Health & Wellbeing club officer does NOT have to be an expert
- Health & Wellbeing Staff in Croke Park, committee at provincial level and a committee at county level
- Main objective of Health & Wellbeing in the GAA is to communicate, facilitate and sign post
- Midleton GAA Club and St Finbarrs were the two cork clubs who took on the Healty Club Project in 2013 - an initiative from Croke park where 18 clubs became a hub for promoting positive health to all members and the wider community. They ran several initiatives over the last few years (walking club, inviting guest speakers in, etc).