The Knott's December 2018 Update
View this email in your browser

"Perfecting" Patience, Part 2

“I only attend to weddings on Friday afternoons,” the lawyer said, continuing to look at her computer. “You’ll have to come back on Monday.”

I couldn’t believe it! This was at least the fifth time we’d come into her office to try and get a birth certificate for little Tirzah.
“Isn’t there any way you can help us today?” asked Ruth, a church member friend who had come with us as a ‘witness.’

Still looking at her computer, the lawyer replied, “Well, I do have an empty slot at 5 o’clock. If you wait while I do the 4:30 wedding, I can do your papers at five.”
We all breathed a sigh of relief as we took a seat on the couch in her office. I still couldn’t completely relax; there could be catches at any point – a wording she didn’t like on a document, a missing vaccine… Would this really be the end of our goose chase or would it continue on endlessly?
We knew it was going to be difficult to have this baby at home, but I couldn’t fathom it any other way. Some 80% of births in Bolivia are via cesarean section. The few natural births happen in cold, uncomfortable operating rooms in public hospitals where the mother’s wishes are not considered. I was not interested in either option. Going to the US would also be difficult, costly and hardly worth the rigmarole of paperwork to bring the baby back. The nice doctor I had seen for prenatal visits told me I would have to do my final check-ups at the neighborhood government health post. She was unable to give me birth papers if I didn’t deliver at the private hospital she worked at; only a public institution could grant the needed document for a home birth.
During the last few weeks of pregnancy, I went to several different doctors at various public posts. These check-ups enabled me to get into the public health record system, an essential piece to the puzzle. Meanwhile, I was in communication with Vivien, a Norwegian midwife volunteering in Bolivia who had agreed to come and attend the birth.
So while DJ was busy practicing patience with paperwork and check-rides, I was practicing my own piece of waiting – for baby. Not surprisingly, baby came several days past her “due date.” It was as beautiful as a delivery could be, seeing how God used Vivien’s baby-catching expertise and worked miracles to bring little Tirzah to life outside the womb.
Baby Tirzah (tier-zah) was born shortly after midnight on a Monday morning. After a few hours of sleep and recovery, we made our way to the neighborhood health post, looking for a reference to the nearby hospital where they supposedly could give us the birth paper. The health post secretary insisted we see the doctor and it was late by the time we finished. The hospital trip was postponed and upon arrival the following day, we were told that the Directora had left and that she would be gone the next two days. When we returned on Friday, she was super busy but promised to give us the paper on Monday.
Two friends from church joined us as ‘witnesses’ that Monday morning in the lobby of the small hospital. Unfortunately the Directora had bad news for us – she had just found out about a new law passed in September, prohibiting hospitals to give birth papers for a home birth. The Directora told us to go directly to a lawyer’s office that generates birth certificates and fulfill the list of requirements for our situation. After driving around the city to several different offices, we finally found one who was willing to register our baby.
Tirzah, 2 days & 5 weeks
Over the next 10 days we drug our poor kids and the two sweet ladies all over town practicing patience at every, yes every, step. First it was the notary witness document that wasn’t good enough for the lawyer. We arrived at the second notary only to be told that they didn’t have time to process our document until that afternoon because they were taking an early lunch. Second came the half dozen phone calls and jaunts around the corner to knock on a neighborhood board member’s door for a document certifying our residence. We were grateful for our kindhearted landlady who made the connection since our neighborhood’s authority center is non-functional. Next we had to acquire a health record ID for the baby from the health post. Normally you get this after you visit the pediatrician and get the baby’s first shots. We wanted to wait a bit before giving Tirzah the vaccines so it took hours of waiting and then a good bit of convincing for the doctor to give us a blank record sheet anyway. Finally, finally we had all the requirements in hand.
We listened as the lawyer performed a truly beautiful courthouse wedding ceremony for the betrothed couple. When the vows were over and the couple sent off to celebrate, we were told to hurry and sit in the chairs in front of the lawyer. The next half hour was a blur. As each form was signed and slid back across the table, my stress level dropped. The lawyer filled in the last boxes on her computer screen and printed out the birth certificate for us to review. It was really, finally happening, nearly three weeks after the baby’s arrival!
That Friday afternoon, shortly before the sun was to set, the six of us left the office feeling very thankful. Thankful for our baby, our family, the helpful church ladies, the lawyer, and yes, even the lessons requiring our patience to grow and grow and grow.
DJ, Jodi, Hadassah & Tirzah Knott
PC: Nathaniel Vedma
Facebook: GMA Bolivia Highlands
Super Cub

Very, Very Close!

 After three weeks we are still waiting for a final inspection clearance. It has been promised next Monday!
Join our Prayer Team and see how God is answering your prayers on a weekly basis!

Sign up by clicking the link below:
Join the Prayer Circle
Ways God has Provided:

1. Megavoice Project: MP3 Children's Bible stories in Aymara - $1,400

2. Tirzah's Bolivian Birth Certificate & ID card

3. B-SISA permission to buy airplane fuel - $1000

4. Bolivia-sourced insurance for plane (local requirement) - $600
We made and delivered Christmas cookies to all the workers in the DGAC (Civil Aviation) Offices.
Christmas was special this year because Jodi's mom came for a visit! We enjoyed having her here.
This non-profit is funded by donations.

If you’d like to be a part, you can send tax-deductible donations to our 501(c)3:

Gospel Mission Aviation, Inc.

Donate via:

     - PayPal: (

     - Check: P.O. Box 2358, Collegedale, TN 37315

Please include a note stating “Bolivia Highlands - Knott” or your project of choice.

unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences 

This email was sent to <<Email Address>>
why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
Gospel Mission Aviation, Inc. · P.O. Box 2358 · Collegedale, TN 37315 · USA

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp