FreeBMD is currently active in transcribing the index for years up to and including 1979.
We have transcribed over 370 million records of which over 73 million records are double keyed to improve the accuracy of our database.
Approximately 27,000 new records are currently added to the database each due the magnificent effort of over 500 active transcribers.
FreeBMD since its inception in late 1998 have attracted over 12,200 transcribers who have actively contributed to the 370 million records. Imagine how quickly we could further increase the database if we could recruit even more activate transcribers. Anyone interested please visit our joining pages at: http://www.freebmd.org.uk/Signup.html
(opens in a new window).
FreeBMD is justifiably proud of continually improving the accuracy of its database and uses various tools to achieve this aim, double keying being just one such tool.
We actively encourage visitors who search our database to report any errors they find in our records. To help support this we introduced an automatic administration correction reporting system in June 2015 and since then we have completed almost 39000 correction requests at a completion rate of 83 per day.
We are in the process of creating a FreeBMD Roadmap, detailing the improvements to be made to the website and service. Some of the initial ideas include:
- Access to post-1983 data
- Inclusion of other data such as BMD for armed forces
- Visual revamp of web pages
- Alternative mailing list to RootsWeb
- Make the FreeBMD site more mobile friendly along the lines of FreeREG
- Look into implementing a menu-driven page, which when you hover over a particular section takes you to a list of sub sections
- Explore the possibility of resource integration with other organisations.