The Traffic Light Campaign along with other community initiatives like MRRA's excellent assessment process and media presence of Macedon Ranges Voice, has delivered a council which we think has the potential to be broadly progressive.
Australia Post did a deplorable job delivering our flyers. Some Post Office boxes in Gisborne and Riddell's Creek drew a complete blank. Its heartening, though, that enough residents were able to take advantage of our voting guide to create a successful result.
- Congratulations to the seven green light candidates and two orange light candidates who were elected. https://www.vec.vic.gov.au/results/2020-council-election-results/macedon-ranges-shire-council
- No red light candidates were elected and the developer, neoliberal influence was well and truly countered.
- Our special thanks go to the four green light candidates who were not elected but played a pivotal roll in insuring that others were successful... Adrian Gauci and Christine Walker in South Ward, Lenka Thompson in West Ward, and Natasha Gayfer in East Ward.
Our success vindicates the decision to spend 7k on the campaign. To date we have raised two and a half thousand dollars so we are still asking for donations to raise another four thousand dollars. That's only forty people putting in a hundred each!
A Forum for Democratic Renewal's tag line is still politically relevant...Citizenship, Community and Climate.
- Use these numbers for a direct debit
- BSB: 633000/Account No.125832121
- Reference “Traffic Light” with your direct deposit
- Phone contact Vivien on 0409 386 875
Our role as engaged citizens will continue to be pivotal in underpinning the functioning of our new council.
- Stop land speculation and urban sprawl right across the Macedon Ranges.
- Strengthen the role of the wider community in council decision making (ref new local government act)
- How can we strengthen the livability of our towns with an emphasis on long term sustainability.
- How can we heal our landscape.
Rob Bakes on behalf of the FDR assessment committee. 0427 580803